Vistas of two mavericks

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Losers eh?

I second Abhi's thoughts in his post "....and we are called losers".
This was the 'advice' I got from one of my 'Well wishers':
But, first the prelude :
I've just completed my PUC, more commonly known as 12th Standard. I've cracked most exams (I wish I'm able to do that now!). I've pocketed a great percentage in my board exams (which I least heeded, except for the entrance to BITS. Hey, I almost forgot, I actually didn't do well enough to get a good percentage initially... I had to go through a trying period waiting for my revalued marks!) and a good rank in Karnataka CET, and an unanticipated great rank in IIT-JEE. This gentleman is at my home, wanting tips for his son. It was really good that he wanted his son to do well etc. but this is what he had in store for me:
"Son, Congrats on your great performance! You've done us all proud...
Do well in your future at IIT. Don't stay here. This system won't allow bright people to come up. Go for further studies in some good US university and get settled there. Get married, have children and return to India only when your children come to school-going age. But, make sure you come back before they start going to school, because their culture isn't clean...."

Though the advice is typically Indian, I had no answer to this at that time. I had a hunch that it wasn't right, but I stopped myself from questioning him because my thoughts were premature then...
However, I now see that it would be narcissistic on my part to shun the Indian society because of its blemishes. I'd rather challenge the discrepencies in my own way and try to set things right.
But again, the questions posed by Abhi about the Indian society prop up, paining us incessantly...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home